8.30.2005

(QUE BARBRA) MEMORIES, LIGHT THE CORNERS OF MY MIND

No new knitting to report today. I did complete a cotton dishcloth with a cat design in it, but decided to take a stroll down memory lane and show a crocheted lace doily I did back in 2003. My maternal grandmother (Flona) taught me to crochet just as I was entering my teenage years. She passed away several years ago, but I still miss her greatly; even to this day. She was a very dainty woman who never wore make-up or had on a pair of pants or shorts a day in her life. She belonged to the Church of God (Penacostal). Below is the doily that I crocheted and a picture of my grandmother. We were playing some kind of game around Easter one year where you had an Irish potato between your thighs and you had to walk up to a Mason (canning) jar and drop it in without missing. This may be a Southern thing :-)! I remember laughing so hard that I thought I would wet myself. I believe this picture was taken of her back in the late Sixties. That's me, my mother (Doris) and my youngest sister (Denise) to the left of my grandmother.

The picture below was taken when I was around 14 or so. I had just completed my first, big crocheted project; a large granny-square afghan. I was so proud of it. Lord, I was so homely looking, LOL!!

This picture was taken around 1991. I'm showing this one because it was around this time that I came out to everyone as a proud, gay man. The lady in the picture with me is/was a good friend of mine, Anne. She and another lady that I used to work with took me out to dinner at a restaurant named Julie's to celebrate my coming out. Notice my lazy eyes? I think I had like two or three glasses of red wine with dinner and I was definitely not feeling any pain. I can't believe how much hair I had and how physically thin I was. In some ways, I really miss those days, but as Doris Day once sang, Que Sera, Sera!!

In case anyone's interested, here's a link to a website if you want to start knitting up some cotton dishcloths to give away as Christmas/Hanukkah presents. The holidays are just around the corner, you know.

Well, that’s it for the moment. I may post another entry sometime later this week about my job, or better yet, probably here soon, the lack thereof. Ta-Ta For Now, possums!


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have a similar history. My grandmother taught me to crochet also...and then my other grandmother taught me to knit. Some where on my site I have a picture of a doily I made my mother...I love knitting them too!

Great stuff!!!

8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait, I'm not anonymous! But can't "sign in"...ah well.

It's sean from seans soapbox!

8:54 AM  
Blogger Calvin said...

Thanks, Jeff. I may do a few other post that includes some of my favorite memories as a child/teenager. I hope that the new school year is off to a good start and the students don't dry you too crazy when they come to the library.

Calvin

8:03 PM  
Blogger Calvin said...

Thanks, Sean. I've never tried to knit a doily, but maybe I can try that before I tackle socks again. Do you have a simple, knitted doily pattern that you can share with me? I'm going to have to dig around your blog and see if I can find the picture of the one you did. I don't remember seeing one from before.

Calvin

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home