7.16.2005

MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING

Thursday, I stopped by one of the LYS and purchased this...















and this. The book has several Native American Fair Isle motifs in it that I would like to try and make something with. I think red and yellow will go good with that. It's a wonderful book and not a bad pre-tax price of $19.95.










Yesterday, a friend and I went to see War of the Worlds. I'm not a big Tom Cruise fan even before his stupid-ass remarks to Matt Lauer on The Today Show, but the special effects in this movie are great. Steven Spielberg is a wonderful director. The two things I didn't like about the movie are the little girl's almost constant screaming (I know, I know, she's a little girl) and the way the movie seemed to end all of a sudden. I thought there would be a Mother Ship or something. I guess if I had read the book or saw the first movie, I would know better.

Just finished my first attempt at a Fair Isle motif (not from the book above). It's not going to be used for anything, I just wanted to see how I would do. I thought it was kind of fun, but the two yarns getting tangled got on my nerves at certain times. There are a few mistakes in the second from bottom pattern. Over all, I wouldn't mind knitting something using a Fair Isle pattern. Tonight, I think I'm going to cook a Tater-Tot Casserole (how red-neck does that sound, right?) and a salad. It's actually quite good. This evening will again be a DVD re-watch from my DVD stash. Tonight's selection will be Maurice which, as you probably know, is another Merchant-Ivory movie. Rupert Graves (as well as Hugh Grant) is in this movie and it goes without saying that Rupert Graves can... Well, we finally have a day that isn't calling for rain from the several hurricanes already this season. Don't get me wrong, we can always use the rain since we were (are) in a draught for several years, so that being said, I'm out to cut my grass before I'm run out of the neighborhood or I get a notice stating my queer card is about to be revoked. There are a lot of other sistas that live in the neighborhood. Enjoy the rest of your weekend. See ya.

5 Comments:

Blogger Wilma Fingerdu said...

I'm kinda sacrd to go see war of teh worlds...why...T.C is in it and I have No intention of seeing ANOTHER one of his movies. So I took my freidns outto see Willi Wanka instead...

12:53 PM  
Blogger Franklin said...

Okay, the fair isle swatch is inspiring. It's one of the only knitting things I've been scared to try out. But you did it, and you're still breathing. That's encouraging. Did you knit it two-handed?

1:38 PM  
Blogger Calvin said...

Hey, Krys. Thanks for you comment. I haven't seen Charlie and the Chocolate Factory yet (and may not). What did you think of it?

7:41 PM  
Blogger Calvin said...

Franklin, I knitted the Fair Isle swatch by carrying both yarns in my left hand (which is the way I normally knit with one strand of yarn). I think this is called Continental style. Try Fair Isle. It's fun seeing the motif develop as you knit along.

7:46 PM  
Blogger Franklin said...

Thanks, Calvin, I was hoping you'd say that. I'm a Continental knitter myself and had heard it's possible to carry both yarns on the left, which I'd prefer. I'll have try it out soon.

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home