7.12.2005

CONSUMERISM AT ITS BEST(EVERYBODY WANTS MY MONEY)


Saturday, a week ago, I was in the mood to actually cook myself a meal for dinner instead of eating junk. I go be-bopping into the kitchen to start. I took the foil off the margarine and put it into a Pyrex measuring cup and then stuck it in the microwave. Turned on the microwave and proceeded to walk across the kitchen. All of a sudden, I heard this zapping noise behind me. I turned around and low and behold, my microwave was shooting sparks on the inside where the cooking element is. I thought shit, do I touch it to turn if off and possibly electrocute myself or see if it stops? I took a chance and was able to hit the stop button. I let it sit there for a few minutes hoping that it would "work itself out". I then turned it back on and damn if it didn't start doing it again. Geez, Louise, I've had the thing less than two years and already its gone out. I was NOT a happy camper. Anyhow, I unplugged it; didn't want to take a chance on anything else happening.

I've gone all week without using one and almost had the mindset that I would try to do without one. Yeah, right. I can't tell you how many times I've taken something out of the refrigerator and turned to put it in the microwave and then realized, F***, I don't have one. So today, I schlepped out to Lowe's who had one on sale that I liked. Believe me, it was blazing, hot- as-hell. The kind of hot when you step out the door, you immediately begin to sweat. Suprisingly, Lowe's was not busy at all. I guess everyone else had sense to stay out of the heat. Got the microwave and headed back home. Yes, I am now the proud owner of a turbo-charged, stainless steel one. I just love stainless steel.

Well, I'm off to re-watch A Room With A View and eat popcorn for dinner. See, I told you that I eat junk. BTW, I just LOVE the pond scene in that movie. Julian Sands and Rupert Graves can do me any day! :-)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Room with a View is one of my all time favourite films... and yes I like the pond scene to, even Mr Beeb is funny to watch. Dame Kiri Te Kanawa (the New Zealand Soprano) is also featured on the soundtrack.

5:05 AM  
Blogger Franklin said...

I'm with you about "A Room with a View." My first copy was on VHS and I practically wore it out because of that scene. (In my defense, this was in my mid-teens before you could download naked men at the speed of light, and it was all I had...)

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home