9.25.2005

DOWNTOWN

I had a pretty good weekend. Saturday, I was invited by a friend to go to the Greek Festival which is held at Columbia's Greek orthodox Church, downtown. I had a wonderful time. The food was delicious. Being raised Baptist, it was strange having beer served on church property (i.e., served at all). Of course, I had one. It was an Athenian (sp) and boy did it go down good with the Greek chicken, some kind of pasta (that was out of this world), a filo pastry dish that had spinach in it and bread. I later had Baklava. Honey, I wouldn't mind having me a Greek man because there was definitely some lookers there. They also had a couple of groups of kids that did some Greek dancing. They were truly enjoying life. Of course, some older people did the traditional Greek dance. I can't think of the name, but they just had the best time dancing. Everyone watching the dancers kept shouting, "Umpa" (sp). What a fun time I had. I wish that we, as Americans, would slow down and enjoy life (and not feel guilty about it) the way most Europeans do.

Today I went over to a friend's house for lunch. He can make a mean, homemade macaroni and cheese.

Have you ever had a song(s) to pop into your head, out of the blue and then you spend the rest of the day singing the song until you about drive yourself crazy? Well, that happened to me today. It started out with Downtown by Petula Clark. I don't know where it came from because I haven't thought about that song in ages. None the less, I love that song and it always makes me happy to hear it or just walking around singing it to myself. I then thought about the song, Georgy Girl by The Seekers (an Australian group from the Sixties) which is another old favorite of mine. To me, the two just go together.

Until then...later possums.

3 Comments:

Blogger ~drew emborsky~ said...

Sounds like a great time!!

7:29 PM  
Blogger Crafty Andy said...

Your blog keeps coming alive, is fun to enjoy life to the fullest and have food in your way to heaven. Church and beer, well Jesus had wine, so beer is along the way of the liqour licensing. LOL. Anyway greek food is esquisite, for that matter any food prepare by experts is great. Love your work as well.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Franklin said...

I have no idea why, but when I got frustrated during the weaving of the seams on my sweater, the theme song from a TV show I hated back in the 80s got stuck in my head and would *not* go away.

Must be association by aversion.

"Downtown," of course, is one of the most infectious tunes ever in all of history and you're right, it makes a perfect pair with "Georgy Girl."

I got to see Petula in "Sunset Boulevard" and even though I don't like Lloyd-Webber, she was fun as heck to watch.

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home